Monday 6 June 2011

West Cork Beauty


Sheep's Head Peninsula

Over the weekend I was down in our friary in Cork city to visit a sick relative. I got the chance to head to West Cork on Sunday. I spend the day on Sheep's Head Peninsula, and was able to do some walking in this wonderful part of the country - wild, unspoilt, and peaceful.

I was very aware as I walked on hills overlooking Bantry Bay that I was blessed. It was such a gift to be there. Not only because I could enjoy the beauty around me, but also because I was aware, in faith,  that all I saw was but mirroring the goodness and splendour of its Creator.

The Franciscan tradition speaks of the Book of Creation.  Creation is an open book that reveals God's beauty, power and majesty. In theological terms: God is immanent in his creation. All creation is charged with his glory.

Pope John Paul said: 'For those who have attentive ears and unveiled eyes, creation is like a first revelation, which has its own eloquent language. It is almost like another sacred book whose letters are represented by the multitude of creatures present in the universe.'

In the light of faith this world takes on an even more awesome aspect.

'Earth's crammed with heaven
and every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round and plunk blackberries.'
                        (Elizabeth Barrett Browning)